A few useful tips...
• try to alternate the direction you sand with each piece of emery paper - if you sand side to side with the first piece, sand up and down (at right angles) with the next piece. This gets the best results most efficiently.
• follow the shape of the burnisher, whether it's straight or a bent one like mine.
• sand with your emery paper held on a flat hard surface if possible. Again, this makes your sanding more efficient.
• don't be afraid to go back a step! If you've moved on to a finer grade of emery paper but still notice clear marks that you can't get rid of easily, go back to the coarser grade for a little longer.
• remember to keep these pieces of emery paper separate from the pieces you use on your silver to prevent cross-contamination.